headercontact green

Complaints under the Charter

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission ('the Commission') does not handle complaints related to the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006. Instead, the Commission has educative, reporting, reviewing and intervention functions.

If you think your human rights have been breached by a public authority you should try to raise it with the authority first. If the matter cannot be resolved, you may be able to make a complaint to the Victorian Ombudsman. You can contact The Victorian Ombudsman for more information on (03) 9613 6222 or go to ombudsman.vic.gov.au.

The Victorian Ombudsman does not generally handle complaints about police conduct. In situations involving possible police misconduct, you can contact the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission ('IBAC') on 1300 735 135 or go to ibac.vic.gov.au/.

Human rights may also be raised in complaints to other relevant complaint-handling bodies, for example the Disability Services Commissioner, the Health Services Commissioner or the Public Transport Ombudsman.

For more information about the human rights protected by the Charter and the responsibilities of public authorities call our Enquiry Line.

You can also look at Good practice guide: Managing complaints involving human rights, which was published by the Human Rights Unit of the Department of Justice and Regulation to help public authorities effectively deal with complaints about human rights.

Sidebar newsletter 2
Sidebar live chat 2